.

Thursday, September 19, 2019

The Personality I Identify with from the Old Testament Essay -- David

Introduction The personality that I identify with from the Old Testament is David. I was drawn to this character because of his sportsmanship. The universal principles that I learned from him are hard work, perseverance, respect, and pride. These characteristics affect my view of the world, my work, studies, relationships, and life. This paper specifically draws from David’s actions towards Saul, when Saul was trying to kill him. What Draws Me To David My main draw to David is his sportsmanship towards Saul. Saul was very jealous of David because the people of Israel loved him more than they loved Saul. His jealousy lead to Saul trying to have David killed many times. But do to David’s good sportsmanship he would not take the life of Saul when Saul was sleeping and unprepared for battle. David had more than one chance to take Saul’s life. According to 1 Samuel 24:4, â€Å"Then David crept up unnoticed and cut off a corner of Saul’s robe.†(Bible) Verse 1 Samuel 26:7-8 says, â€Å"So David and Abishai came to the people by night: and, behold, Saul lay sleeping within the place of the wagons, with his spear stuck in the ground at his head; and Abner and the people lay round about him. Then said Abishai to David, God hath delivered up thine enemy into thy hand this day: now therefore let me smite him, I pray thee, with the spear to the earth at one stroke, and I will not smite him the second time.†(Bible) David and I have the same sportsmanship qualities. I will not hurt someone when they are down just like David. Verse 1 Samuel 26:8 explains how I feel about revenge on someone. I think a person will get what they have coming when the time is right, just like David. Principles Learned Studying David ... ...age for myself. Holding doors, waiting calmly in line, or letting people in front of me on the highway are a few small examples of putting others before myself. Conclusion In closing, what draws me to David is that David and I have the same sportsmanship values. We both feel it is wrong to kick someone when they are down and respect our opponent or opposition. David has showed me principle values like hard work, perseverance, pride, and confidence while I studied his life. Bibliography: Bibliography Thomas, Jim (2000) Coffeehouse Theology, Harvest House Publishers. Colson, Charles (1999) How Now Shall We Live?, Tyndale House. Trade Life Books (2000) Is That Your Final Answer?, Trade Life Books. The Bible (1985) The Bible, Zondervan Bible Publishers. Merrill, Eugene (1991) Historical Survey Of The Old Testament 2nd edition, Baker Book House.

No comments:

Post a Comment